Modifications of Sentences/Expungements

Law Offices of Jess C. Bedore III | Criminal Practice | Stag

Law Offices of Jess C. Bedore III | Criminal Practice Overview | Staging

Post-Conviction Relief

Although being convicted of a crime is a serious matter, it does not have to be the end of the story. Many convictions can be modified or expunged. It is important to have a lawyer who understands the procedures for accomplishing these post-conviction tasks.

At the Law Offices of Jess C. Bedore III, our attorneys have the knowledge and experience to help people have their records expunged or modified. With more than 50 years of combined legal experience, we understand the processes involved and have a record of success helping individuals after conviction. Whether or not you were our client when you were convicted, we can help you.

Contact the Law Offices of Jess C. Bedore III to discuss modifying or expunging a conviction. Call toll-free at 888-319-0305 for a free telephone consultation.

What Can Be Expunged?

Almost any conviction can be expunged if you meet the following conditions:

  • Not currently on probation
  • No current charges pending
  • Not been in state prison for the offense

Here's how it works: If you meet these and other conditions, you are able to petition the court to re-open your case and set aside the original conviction. If your record is expunged, you will still have the incident on your record, but instead of having a guilty verdict, your record will reflect that the case was dismissed.

What is a Modification of Sentence?

In some cases, a sentence may impose such hardship that the convicted person would incur another charge if the sentence were to remain in place. Other reasons for modification include:

  • Jail surrender dates that can't be met because of family emergencies
  • A person now has the money to make restitution because of an inheritance or gift
  • The individual has completed a drug or alcohol treatment program and is now sober
  • A felony can be reduced to a misdemeanor

Circumstances such as these may lead a judge to modify the terms of a sentence. The judge may change the prison surrender date or require the person to remain under house arrest rather than going to prison. Modification may lead to a shortened sentence or period of probation. It can also change a ail term to alternative sentence, such as Work Project or Electronic Monitoring in order to accommodate family circumstances.

Contact an Experienced California Lawyer

Contact our Roseville, California, attorneys to discuss modifying a sentence or expunging your record. Call the Law Offices of Jess C. Bedore III toll-free at 888-319-0305.